Vice President of Underwriting & Operations
Lawyers Mutual Insurance Company of Kentucky (“LMICK”) is seeking to hire a Vice President of Underwriting & Operations. This position will be accountable for the oversight and implementation of the strategic direction of the underwriting function. This includes writing and retaining profitable business and addressing issues adversely affecting underwriting results. In this role, the Vice President of Underwriting & Operations will lead LMICK in its efforts to preserve and augment its position and reputation as the Kentucky Bar Association endorsed legal malpractice insurance carrier with exemplary service to its insureds and the other attorneys of the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure practice of sound risk evaluation and selection utilizing company underwriting guidelines and judgement.
- Manage underwriting business rules to ensure new business and renewals meet company objectives.
- Maintain knowledge of current and emerging trends, assess the impact, and collaborate with other members of leadership to incorporate these developments into future strategies.
- Analyze needs and establish work priorities to determine workflow activities and avoid unnecessary duplication.
- Analyze results and recommend changes in underwriting guidelines, philosophy, and rates.
- Cultivate an engaged environment with insured base by maintaining existing relationships via verbal and written communications.
- Prepare and present reports to the Underwriting Committee, leadership team, and Board of Directors, quarterly or as deemed necessary.
- Foster relationships with applicable reinsurance and actuarial entities including preparation and presentation of written materials.
Job Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s or other advanced degree.
- Proficient in strategic underwriting and risk balance gained through underwriting experience or a combination of experience and professional education such as CPCU.
- Experience with professional liability encouraged.
- Active Kentucky property & casualty license preferred but not required.
- High computer literacy with working knowledge of database and reporting tools.
Compensation, Benefits and Other
- Competitive base compensation plus bonus opportunities.
- Comprehensive benefits include vacation and sick leave; health, dental, vision insurance; fully-employer paid life and disability insurance, employer matched retirement plan with immediate vesting.
- In-office opportunity with professional flexibility provided.
In the late 1980s, a group of forward-thinking lawyers decided that Kentucky lawyers needed and deserved better and more affordable options for their professional legal malpractice insurance coverage. They raised the necessary capital and LMICK was born. The Company was incorporated in September of 1986 and commenced its business on November 1, 1987. In the 35+ years since its incorporation, LMICK has been committed to supporting Kentucky lawyers with not just malpractice coverage, but with outstanding claims service and repair and risk management and ethics education. LMICK’s Board of Directors and Claims team are Kentucky lawyers serving Kentucky’s lawyers. For more information about LMICK, go to LMICK’s website – www.lmick.com.
How to Apply
LMICK is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply. LMICK does not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.